Wednesday, April 13, 2016

#ARCHIVEBYALEXA

Alexa Chung collaborated with British Institution, Marks & Spencer by delving into the company’s design archive to curate a fresh, modern spin on a 31-piece collection, created by picking her favorites and redeveloping them with the M&S design team.

WHY DID MARKS & SPENCER CHOOSE ALEXA CHUNG?
According to Steve Rowe, Executive Director of General Merchandise at Marks & Spencer, “Marks & Spencer’s history is vast and quality design has always been paramount; therefore using our expertise and classic designs and Alexa’s unique eye and approach to style, our collaboration was born. He went on to describe it as “A new womenswear collection, curated by Alexa, with heritage firmly at its heart.”

WHAT DOES ALEXA CHUNG HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS COLLABORATION?
“I have always had an affection for Marks & Spencer. I am thrilled to be part of this special and unique project. There was something very touching looking back through the British fashion and social history for which Marks & Spencer is synonymous.”

WHAT DOES THE BLACK MANNEQUIN MAKE OF THE COLLECTION?
Personally, I think M&S partnering with a vintage powerhouse to create an archive collection is genius. The collection will definitely attract a younger audience but I am quite unsure as to how well it will go down with the older generation/core M&S customer considering the premise of the collaboration was built on the 1970s suede skirt that turned into a fashion sensation last spring after Alexa Chung was pictured in it. Although the skirt sales went through the roof, the price point was most definitely not intended for the younger customer. I am not a fan of everything in the collection but I do have my eye on a few key pieces such as the Effie grey pleated skirt, the Frances trench coat and the Nellie black boots.

Ultimately, I think the collaboration will be as successful as M&S’s longstanding collaborations with celebrities such as Rosie Huntington-Whiteley & David Gandy especially cause of the appropriate price points and because it is true to Alexa’s personal style; a style, most of the younger generation identify with.

THE COLLECTION
If you haven’t seen the ads/campaigns, below are the featured pieces from the launch





































What pieces do you love from the collection? What are you planning to buy? Hit me up in the comments below. I am Destini Monet and you have been reading ‘The Black Mannequin’.
Share:

2 comments

  1. i loved every single piece you showed! so cute!!

    http://www.carolinapinglo.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking it out on my blog.
      The collection is still available in store. Let me know if you picked up anything. I managed to get my hands on the grey pleated skirt. Turns out the trench and the boots were too big for lil ol' me, LOL

      Delete

© The Black Mannequin | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig